Jamelle Bouie, Anna Lappé, Meklit, Patrick Dooley sign up for Uncharted Ideas Festival in Berkeley09.24.2015
Sept. 24, 2015: The line-up of speakers and performers for the 2015 Uncharted Festival of Ideas is almost complete. Here are just a few of those who have recently confirmed:
- Meklit Hadero The Ethio-American singer-songwriter co-founded The Nile Project, and her music bridges the frontiers between language, tribes and disciplines.
- Anna Lappé, co-founder with her mother, Frances Moore Lappé, of the Small Planet Institute and Small Planet Fund, is helping us reevaluate the way we think about food.
- Patrick Dooley, who founded Shotgun Players in 1992 in the basement of a pizza parlor, is committed to theater as a form of activism. Dooley will be in conversation with culture writer Scott Timberg, whose latest book is Culture Crash: The Killing of the Creative Class.
- Joshua Johnson, Johnson, the morning newscaster on KQED and guest-host of public affairs program “Forum,” recently launched the “So Well Spoken” segment and podcast. Johnson will be talking to Pastor Michael McBride, a national leader in the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Sandra Gilbert Gilbert is a pioneering feminist critic who has most recently published Rereading Women: Thirty Years of Exploring Our Literary Traditions.
See the full speaker and performer line-up.
The third annual Uncharted, which is organized by Berkeleyside, and happens on Friday Oct. 16 and Saturday Oct. 17 in downtown Berkeley, promises be the best yet. The two-day festival, located at the Berkeley Rep and the Freight & Salvage, embraces thrilling discussions, live music, popup performances, interactive labs, and an elegant opening night party on the Cal campus with cocktails, food, fine wine and craft beer.
Uncharted: The Berkeley Festival of Ideas is proud to be supported by the following partners: Autodesk; Cloudera; Wareham Development; DeYoe Wealth Management; Jetton Construction; North Berkeley Investment Partners; The Grubb Company; Panoramic Interests; TMG Partners; 2000 Center Street LLC; Downtown Berkeley Association; UC Berkeley; WeWork; APS Wines; Drake’s Brewing Company; Farm League Design & Management Group, Vignette Wine Country Soda; Whole Foods; Diablo Magazine and KQED.